Varvara Harmon Watercolor Series
Artists can get materials in local art stores or from www.jerrysartarama.com and www.dickblick.com.
I use Windsor Newton watercolor paints primarily, but would not hesitate to use Grumbacher, or Cotman (for students).
(*** – must have, * – good to have)
- ULTRAMARINE BLUE ***
- CERULEAN BLUE ***
- COBALT BLUE *
- SAP GREEN ***
- Hooker’s Green*
- Lemon Yellow*** or Cadmium Yellow
- Gamboge Hue*** (Deep yellow)
- Permanent Alizarin Crimson*** or Permanent Rose
- INDIAN RED *
- BURNT SIENNA ***
- BURNT UMBER *
- IVORY BLACK ***
- Brushes – I use numbers 2, 4, 6, 8, 10 – flat and round.
- Jar or bowl for water
- Paper towels to clean hands and brushes.
- Pallet (find big size pallet for watercolor)
- Art masking Fluid (You can use chip brushes for working with masking fluid)
- Artists masking tape
- Arches cold or hot press 140lb or 300lb watercolor paper or watercolor board. (140lb paper is good for practicing. I do not recommend using 140lb paper for paintings to avoid buckling.)
- “Pik-Up” Rubber cement eraser
- Foam board (I use ½”thick regular foam board to tape my paper)
DON’T FORGET – your sense of adventure and enthusiasm.
LEAVE AT HOME – preconceptions, self-doubt and fear.